Boot Camp.

Yesterday morning, I woke up before my alarm (I had woken up several times preempting it so that Senya would not be awoken at 5:30 and decide that’s normal). I got ready, and left the house for my first day of boot camp in Santa Monica. It was a beautiful drive down our mountain and to the coastline. It felt adventurous to set out on my own to begin a new sort of “project” in a brand new place.

When I arrived (30 minutes early), I found a good parking spot, walked to the edge of the Santa Monica bluffs and looked out on the ocean for 15 minutes. It was cathartic to have some time alone with my thoughts about all the change that has recently transpired and all the novelty that continues to emerge daily.

When I approached the designated spot for boot camp, I saw a young girl (in her twenties) and I asked her if she was there for Angela’s boot camp. She responded that she was, and we chatted a little bit. We soon discovered that we were both from Pennsylvania and that we had only recently relocated here. “What brought you to LA?” I asked. “Well, I’m featured in this next season of an MTV show that is airing this October. Angela is my personal trainer.” Here’s the show’s trailer (I looked it up when I got home):

Then Angela arrived, and her hospitality and energy were contagious and put me at ease. The group also was really nice and funny and down to earth. Apparently, I picked a great time slot (according to the rest of the participants present and also my own observations).  The 7:30 group is friendly but also super intense about the workout. I was the only new person in the group, but I didn’t feel out of place. My neighbor to my right was very disarming and after a little chit-chat about my newness to the area and to boot camp specifically, she gave me some advice. “I’ve been working with Angela for a while now, and I’ve learned to just show up. If you’re sick, just show up. If you wake up with a hang over, just show up. If you feel good or not, just show up. You’ll always be glad that you did.”

We commenced the workout with a quick warm-up run around a loop on the Santa Monica bluffs. The rest of our hour was spent doing all kinds of strength training and intense work-out moves that were new to me. I was really challenged by her workout, but I left feeling inspired. Angela is a perfect blend of supportive and tough. She pushes people to reach deep within themselves to find the reasons that brought them to her during the most intense parts of the workout. She is really smart too, and she took [brief] bits of time when we were recovering from each specific series of exercises to explain the science behind her program design. I’m so glad that I’m doing this.

My muscles are sore today, but it’s not so bad that I am anything but excited to go back for more tomorrow.

This entry was posted in fitness and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Boot Camp.

1. jason says:

Wow, that is so cool all around – and I had no idea about the MTV show. Angela is going to be a star! Are you going to watch it? Glad you liked it so much.

• lindsay says:

I think it’s really cool for Angela, too! This will probably really excellent for her and her company, body inspired fitness. And yeah! I’d like to watch the show.

2. Jessic says:

Okay, this is so awesome. I’m so happy for you. And you know what else is awesome? The fact that you wrote, “We COMMENCED the workout…” I love how you write; so smart and funny and interesting and deep, all at once!

3. Mom says:

Lindsay…sounds like the “time of your life”…..oceans,time to reflect, vigorous body challenges….and being with interesting and “growing” people like yourself! Really happy for you….by the way…how does one get in touch with you?…do you have a cell?

Thanks, Mom! I really do enjoy boot camp in all the ways that you described. To get in touch with me, one must use the internet (facebook, email, skype, etc.). Unfortunately, my iPhone was fixed for only a hot second before it died forever. Collin replaced the glass and the touch screen was working again, but then the computer inside it died. So, I’m not sure when we will replace it because I might just wait until the new iPhones come out.

4. Mom says:

Just saw trailer….I will watch the show….looks so inspirational

5. Chris says:

So awesome! Really glad you have the opportunity to do this. And I like the advice – “just show up” – good things will happen!

6. sare says:

Linds!!!! that sounds soooo awesome!!!! i am so happy for you!!!

7. mehmeh says:

Oh my gosh, that poor girl is my soul mate. Tell her I love her. I LOVE her… and cool about your boot camp thingy.

8. judy says:

Hey Linds! Sounds challenging, and fun! I love getting out that time of day, once I get there! Mornings on the beach are amazing!
    How many days a week will you go?
    Rob is talking about training for the next “Stumpy’s”
    I guess this is more that a comment on your blog, but… I miss you!
    Enjoy!!!

Hi Judy! It is both challenging and fun. I will go three times a week (Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays only). That’s cool about Rob and next year’s (is it one annual Stumpy’s or more than that?) race! Awesome! I miss you too. Thanks for the comment, and I just also found a note that you wrote me in Collin’s wallet (when Sen emptied his wallet on the floor). Thanks for that, too!