Life in Kenya

Today was bliss. Sundays in Kenya are pretty much about church or chilling. Today, we chose the latter. Tomorrow we start what promises to be a full month of work on this pilot study we are doing and also following up with the projects we’ve formerly co-established here. So, today was about being together, swimming in the Indian ocean, reading on the beach, snorkeling, napping, eating delicious coastal food, and sleeping late.

There was about an hour and a half during which I was sitting on a coral cliff under a thatched pagoda that overlooked the ocean. Senya was napping peacefully in her car seat, Collin was snorkeling nearby, and I was leisurely reading a very interesting journal article about intersectionality. This was after an all-family swimming event (minus Zuri who was hiking in snow back home); it was Senya’s first time in the ocean, and it was magical. I cherished these moments as they were happening, and I’ll treasure them in my heart always.

The past few months have been tiresome and have been a struggle in many ways. The past few days in Kenya–making our way to the coast and getting established here before our work begins–have been restorative, healing, beautiful, joyous, wonderful, and hopeful. I don’t know what next year will look like. I don’t know what next month will look like. I hope that it won’t be as grueling as the past 2 1/2 months were. I hope that our life will resume the peace and prosperity that used to feel so familiar. I hope that I am not so consumed by things that I must do. I hope that life can resume feeling like life again and not like difficult, stressful work. I hope that I do not have to leave Senya so much. And being with Collin without the weight of daily stressors reminds me that sharing a life with him still makes me feel like the luckiest person on earth.

Ever since we arrived on this continent a familiar light came back into my heart. A beautiful life is in my soul again. I feel human. I don’t feel like a machine. I am alive, not mechanical. There is no drudgery. There is no dread. There is no heartache because I do not have to leave my baby girl to go to work and school for 12 hours. I haven’t had several days in a row without any stress in ages.

The sun is strong and hot, the air is dry, the sky is blue, there is a balmy constant breeze. I love it. We worked so hard to get here. Collin and I sacrificed and worked; we have cried and we have almost despaired. And no, the causes of all of the stress in our life are not solved yet. But traveling this far feels like a personal renaissance. It gives me the opportunity to forget some things and remember others. And I like that.

It’s late here now, so I should to go bed. We are meeting Terry (our good friend and partner in all this work) in Kwale at 10:00 tomorrow.

This entry was posted in personal reflection and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Life in Kenya

guys..this sounds magical..i am so incredibly happy for you three..!!! we love you guys and are praying for an amazing trip!!!!

Thanks for reading, Sare! It is magical. I just love sharing this experience with Senya and seeing it through her eyes. We love you guys too, and thanks for the prayers!

2. Jessic says:

First of all, about this: “I cherished these moments as they were happening, and I’ll treasure them in my heart always.”

Mary-mother-of-God (who “pondered these things in her heart”) would be proud. And I concur.

I love when people’s “work” is exactly what they should be doing. It’s like that saying, “Do what you love to do, and you’ll never work a day in your life.” Not that I don’t think you guys will be working super hard out there, but I love how you feel alive in the process. That is invaluable. It’s kind of like a dog fetching a stick. It’s a lot of work running after it, retrieving it, and bringing it back, but you can tell the dog wouldn’t choose to be anywhere else, doing anything else, in the moment.

So happy for you guys, Linds. What a beautiful post.

Thanks, Jessic. Yes, I love that saying. My grandfather (Pop-Pop) used to always tell me that, too–to do what I love and it wouldn’t feel like work. And the dog playing fetch analogy–perfecto. After living with Zuri for the past few years, I know this is true. Thanks for reading!

3. mom says:

linds…this is wonderful to hear!…the contrast of lifestyles must be mind boggling…i love that you are remembering what you and collin have as a couple and rejoicing in what you have as a little family….praying for you always…loving your mighty Spirit/spirit…and about the jammies and the fire drill here…the jammies had big black splotches of ink on them…ugh a roo

You did indeed spot that twinkle in my eyes again in those pictures, mom. You know how crazy things have been, and so I know you understand how wonderful this is for us to all be together for the whole month focusing on this kind of work that we love doing.

And mom–ugh a roo! So sad / funny.

4. mam says:

oh wait a minute…i hadn’t seen the picture of sen sleeping …oh that does give warmth to my heart

5. judy says:

Sounds like exactly what you all needed- and none too soon~