Memories

I love baking. I have always loved mixing things and making new things from different ingredients. I used to do this with household cleaners, perfumes, lotions, and other solutions when I was a little kid. In fact, one time, at my friend’s house I really did make this amazing formula from a combination of whatever I could find; when we sprayed it on the bathroom wall, it would identify where mold/mildew was–mold and mildew that had been hitherto invisible to the naked eye! Anyway, before I could rush out and patent it (I was 11, btw) my friend’s older brother got a little too enthusiastic about our creation. So, he wanted to double the formula, but we didn’t know the exact proportions…anyway, suffice it to say…it lost its mold-detecting abilities, and we lost interest and decided to go roller skating instead.

And now it’s time for me to give mention about my deep love for roller skating. Now, I’m talking about the real-deal, four-actual-wheels, roller-skates, here. NOT roller blades. I really have some really great memories of roller skating as a kid. It was a big part of my childhood. I had awesome skates, too. They looked like LA Gear high-tops, except that they had wheels. From what I remember, I pretty much owned the black top, too, in those things. I remember doing jumps and spins, and sailing down the one slight incline in my neighborhood. And don’t even get me started on the monthly Homeschool Skating Social. It was probably even more awesome than it sounds.

I have told Collin how much I would still love to roller skate, and he tries to be supportive. I think he feels about it (“it” being my desire to get back into roller-skating) like I felt when he got his hair cut like Friar Tuck a few weeks ago. He wants me to be happy, if it makes me happy…but maybe he also feels like it might be a little bit not as awesome as I had hoped it would be going into the situation.

When he asked me how I liked his hair cut, I (really without trying to be humorous or rude) said, “I like it– especially when you wear your hat.” At which point we both started laughing and admitted it wasn’t what he had hoped it would be. He is pretty convinced that the roads around here would not make for an ideal, adult roller-skating experience (“adult” serving to describe my present stage of life, not to be confused with the grimy sense of the word, as in “adult” book store–though I don’t think the roads would be ideal for that kind of roller skating, either.)

BUT, getting back to what I was saying originally. I baked some bread today, and it was really nice. It was a recipe called “Italian Country Loaves.” It has rosemary and garlic in it; it’s got a very distinct aroma and flavor. I made this bread a lot when Collin and I were first married, so it reminds me of that time in our life. It’s amazing how memories can be so strongly tied to smells. When I smell that bread rising and baking in our home, I am flooded with feelings from that time in life. It’s like a part of my subconscious is still there  experiencing those daily moments in our old apartment; I can feel the sunlight on my skin as it shines through the windows. I can hear the music that typified that time in our life. I can remember these pants that I used to wear a lot because they were khaki and part of my required uniform when I worked at Brew Ha Ha. I remember how it felt to be me at that point in life. It’s like the smell triggers non-verbal memories that I otherwise wouldn’t have retained in great detail, but all these little, poignant sensory details got filed under “Italian Country Loaves Smell.” And I love that about life.

Does anyone else have these smell-induced memories? If so, let’s hear about them. And/or, what were some of your favorite childhood activities?

This entry was posted in personal reflection and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Memories

1. I also love scents and the instant memories the smells will trigger. At the same time, if I had to give up a sense, it would hands down without a second thought be smell.

2. mom says:

i remember you skating linds….i remember your cooking creations, scrumptious…and i remember smells… frankly if it wasn’t for the smell of coffee first thing in the morning, i would not face each day with such enthusiasm),,,the part about collin’s hair cracked me up…and what can i say about perfume ….different scents are so closely identified with people i love….

3. Erica J says:

My daughter (9) also loves to make crazy combos of household cleaners, any ready to use substances, even old food from the fridge. Your post has made me hopeful that she will turn into a master cook/baker! Also, when reading your post, I thought maybe you are yearning to jump into the roller derby craze?

Hi Erica! Thanks for reading! And, yes, I bet that your daughter is manifesting a creative love that could very easily evolve into a love for baking one day. And while I won’t be joining the roller derby craze at this point, I do admit that a part of me would probably love it.

4. Erica J says:

Amusingly, my husband also went through a “Friar Tuck” phase, which I called “monk head” or “John Michael Talbot hair”. Glad it has passed.

5. jessica says:

oh, I still feel badly about Collin’s haircut–since he got it at a place that he went to on my reccomendation! also, yesterday I was on a hike and I suddenly smelled something that reminded me of a good friend whom I haven’t seen in a while. It stopped me in my tracks, I was so surprised. But it was a good surprise (because it’s not like my friend smells like a sewer or something).

6. Lindsay says:

oh, jessic! i KNEW you’d feel bad, but really! of course it’s not your fault. you gave us fair warning that it was a bit of a gamble. and yes, i love when good scents are associated with people that i love.

7. Emily E says:

I’m so glad that you have a blog 🙂 Loved the FLOW post…really good stuff! I think I achieve FLOW when I’m in the kitchen baking bread, or making a really well-planned dinner with lots of fresh ingredients. Oh, rocking my babies to sleep at night is a definite FLOW trigger. Regarding scent: I seem to have very specific memories connected to Glad Plug-Ins 🙂 The tropical scent reminds me of my college days…soooo random!

Yes, Emily! I like your FLOW activities! Also– I think that the Glad Plug-In connection is funny, but it makes a lot of sense. It was probably just there in the atmosphere, creating such a strong tie to all your day-to-day memories.

8. Stef says:

Comment 1: LA Gear!! Ha! So had shoes and possibly even the skates!

Comment 2: Perhaps pics of the haircut?? For those of us not in DE or PA.

Comment 3: I love the beginning of a rain storm. The first few drops hitting the ground release this scent. Indescribable … mostly because I am not a writer. I think the memory is of “swimming” in puddles when I was a kid. If that’s not why that smell brings me joy, I’m missing a darn good memory somewhere!

Comment 4: Love the blog, Linds.

Stef! Nice one. I had the LA Gear shoes, too. We were awesome. And about the haircut–good idea. I’ll ask Col if we took any pictures right after it was cut. As far as your scent memory is concerned–I LOVE that smell to which you are referring. If that smell is tied to a nostalgic and happy feeling for you, that’s even better! And regarding comment 4: Thanks for reading!

Linds! i love this!!! i love the smell of a jasmine and vanilla lotion that i wore all the time when Jacob and i were first married. When i smell it, it takes me right back to that time. I also love the smell of crayons..it reminds me of art class as a kid. And reminds me that i love to make art..
    Love your blog!!

Thanks, Sare! Those smell memories sound like really happy ones. I think it’s awesome how the smells that link to such positive memories and emotions are everyday scents, usually. Then when we smell them, it is an instant mood booster! Love your blog, too! Glad you posted again!

10. Darby says:

I love your blog! I have so much to catch up on! There are so many smells that I love, but the one I’m thinking of now is one that I miss so much. Autumn leaves outside and smoke from someone’s fireplace somewhere nearby. There’s nothing like it. It’s one smell that makes me wish I could continue inhaling and fill myself up with it, so I can have a little bit when I can’t get to the autumn leaves personally….